Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wardrobe Wednesday.

The presentation of this weeks outfit is a little like the wearer of the outfit feels: not super enthusiastic.
It is nearly midday, and I have only been dresses about half an hour. My throat is raspy, and my 'let's get dressed and look amazing' levels are fairly low. It's one of those days where I wish I had remembered to photograph an outfit earlier in the week. But I'm not going to let that stop me.


Dress: bought from a friend who sells on Trademe  ($15)
Tights: Farmers (about $15)
Shoes: Willowshoes.co.nz ($140)

So yeah, fairly basic (yet somehow expensive?) outfit today. But there's a bit of a story behind the dress.
My friend Cara and I, went to Bayfair (a mall..) on Saturday. We had money burning holes in our pockets, a day without menfolk and children and a need for lovely new clothes.
We searched high and low, only to find that fashion seems to have reverted back to the 90's, and not in a good way. Everything is grunge-tastic (think long skirts, thick knit jumpers and doc boots. Oh, and velvet. So much velvet.) and definitely not something I can work with. I came away with one brooch, a plain striped top, a pair of super cheap boots and a onesie for a small baby that I don't have. AWESOME.
I was feeling very bummed.
But yesterday, as I was picking up the mannequin from my friend Amanda, I spied her 'to sell on TradeMe' rack, and noseyed through it. Within just a few moments, I had two very wonderful dresses in my arms and a huge smile on my face.
Moral of the story? I need to stop trying to convince myself that modern fashion is going to get better, and face the fact that it is worth it to spend a little extra on 'retro' stuff. It's bad luck that I didn't find these dresses for $5 at the oppies, but even at $15 they are cheaper than the most of the ugly stuff I tried on at the shops. And probably better made too..
/ end rant.

4 comments:

  1. That dress is gorgeous! Can I be cheeky & ask what your friend's trade me name is ;)

    Modern fashion is a disaster unless you're 14, totally worth it to spend the extra time hunting for treasures :)

    Wonderful!! Hope your throat feels better & you find an energy burst :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADORE that dress. I would love to know your friends TM name too. Totally with you on this seasons fashion... UGGH! and next time you're at bayfair, let me know... I'll come meet you for a catch up! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahahaha love the rant and the dress - the slash neck/grown on sleeve shape I *love*. As a designer I'm a. heartbroken at what passes for fashion at the mo, and b. determined to give another viewpoint.....tomorrow - I'm madly cutting and finishing samples today. But I do hope I can restore your faith a teeny bit.

    ReplyDelete