Thursday, September 16, 2010

List #18 - The quilt that never ends...




.. Is finished!
I started this quilt in my last few months of being pregnant with Otto. One of those crazy pregnant ideas, I guess. I had run out of things to clean or organise, and it actually worked out quite well with Otto being so overdue.
I picked up a single vintage yo-yo quilt a few years again in an antique store and thought 'Hey, I've got some time up my sleeve. I'll make a double!'. Obviously, I had NO idea quite how much time/fabric/effort that would entail. Turns out even cutting out that many little circles is enough of a project.
I ended up making this one only slightly bigger than the single.
I worked out that, for the double, I would need 997 (I think) of these little things and, in the end, I gave up at around 760. Then I realised I still need to sew them all together.. oh geez!
It has sat on the window seat, taunting me, for over a year now. I've gone through little bursts of sewing a few rows but never very long stints. Handsewing is my worst nightmare. Why oh why did I think this was a good project for me?

But it is complete.  And I'm fairly happy with it, and with myself.
It is safe to say, though, that I won't make another yo-yo for quite sometime.

15 comments:

  1. That is the most beautiful quilt i've seen in aaaages. You should be so proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god it's beautiful. Seriously you must be so happy it's done!! I hate handsewing too, but that finished project is so gorgeous I can hear the scrap basket calling to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't say I'm a fan of hand sewing but look at what you've made! It'll be something to keep forever and passed on - it's gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a mammoth task! For the craft-it-round that I'm participating in I made brooches using these suffolk puffs-2 per brooch and I think I made ten so I can imagine the work that has gone into this. Bet it's satisfying to have it complete and useable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! well done. I am not a fan of handsewing so I think you've done so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to comment again because I just love it THAT much. Seriously, so great. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Very wow! Good on you! I started making some of these, felt like I had been making them forever, then I laid them out and realised I still have a very long way to go to make anything with them. They are still sitting in the cupboard. One day...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! It´s beautiful, I can´t imagine the amount of hours. I´m knitting a cardigan for my 4 years old boy, and its taking me forever. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this!!! You are very, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowsers - that is one amazing quilt!! Well done - loooooove it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WOW, I just saw this now. That quilt is AMAZING!!! What a lot of time and love you have put into that... I'm sure you will treasure it forever!

    ReplyDelete